Founded in 1986 as a partnership between Nittoku and Autoneum, UGN is the preferred producer of high quality acoustic, interior trim, and thermal management products, and a recognized leader in customer satisfaction for the Japanese transplant automotive industry in North America. UGN, with more than $400 million in revenue, has six locations in the United States—Farmington Hills, Michigan; Jackson, Tennessee; Monroe, Ohio; Somerset, Kentucky; Tinley Park, Illinois; and Valparaiso, Indiana; as well as a location in Silao, Guanajuato, Mexico—specializing in manufacturing, research, development, testing, and service support. Visit our website at www.ugn.com.
The Somerset, Kentucky, facility opened in 2005, and is a dynamic and fast-paced plant with more than 350 team members, all intensely focused on improving production systems and overall efficiency. UGN Somerset is a 300,000 square foot manufacturing facility, the first to produce the Ultra-Light™ acoustic carpet system. Throughout the years, the Somerset plant has received many health and safety awards, including the “Perfect Record Award” from the National Safety Council, and the Manpower Safety Partner Award. In 2011, it also was awarded the Honda Green Factory Achievement Award for Recognition of Green Factory Activities in the area of Conservation of Natural Resources.
The Maintenance & Engineering Manager plans, organizes and directs the Manufacturing Services function, including Maintenance, Process Engineering and Facilities Engineering through the proper use and sequence of materials, tools, machinery, equipment and facilities to successfully support all manufacturing operations. In order to meet customer expectations as it relates to safety, quality, cost and delivery and meet margin expectations, the Manufacturing Services Manager directs subordinates toward increasing the efficiency of the manufacturing processes, equipment, facilities and run standards. In addition, plans and directs maintenance operations and those listed above. With Corporate Engineering and Manufacturing, coordinates the efficient introduction of new Product and Tooling into the facility to ensure low cost manufacturing. Responsible for the review of subordinates Capital Requests and provides revisions as appropriate. Develops Long Range Plan (LRP) goals and objectives for the departments, along with capital projects. Plans and administers the Capital Budget and MRO budgets. This opportunity is located in our Somerset, KY plant.
- Study functional statements, organization charts and project information to determine functions and responsibilities of team members and work units to identify areas of duplication.
- Establish work measurement programs and analyze work samples to develop standards for labor utilization.
- Analyze work force utilization, facility layout and operational data such as production costs, process flow charts, and production schedules to determine efficient utilization of team members and equipment.
- Recommend methods of improving team member efficiency and reducing waste of materials and utilities such as restructuring job duties, reorganizing work flow, relocating workstations and equipment and purchase of equipment.
- Direct the development of manufacturing processes and equipment.
- Direct day-to-day maintenance activities to ensure uptime goals are met.
- Oversee the continuing review, revision, improvement and equipment for existing products and participate in finding solutions to the more complex and unusual manufacturing process problems using the team environment including multi-discipline teams.
- Oversee the process and analyze daily production efficiency and determine whether the standard, performance, tooling or other elements of production are performing satisfactorily.
- Provide advice and assistance to manufacturing departments in connection with the solution to manufacturing difficulties; anticipate finding solutions to the more complex problems that arise, and confer with Corporate
- Engineering / Tooling when design problems are involved.
- Assign special studies and projects relating to equipment, product and process improvements and cost reductions to Process Engineers. Outline scope, objective and approach to be taken; review progress and results.
- Analyze and develop a plan regarding cost estimating, maintenance, manufacturing processes and equipment,facilities and standards.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive capital development strategy for the facility.
- Review proposed budgets prepared by subordinates; suggest revisions as necessary.
- Develop staff in both technological and team/interpersonal skills so as to better achieve business objectives.
- Develop a comprehensive strategy for process improvements that are designed to ensure safety, increase efficiency, drive down cost, and improve quality.
- Directly supervises or may supervise subordinate Coordinators who supervise Team Members in Process Engineering, Maintenance, and Tool Repair departments. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelors degree preferably in Engineering
- 5 plus years work experience in Facilities, Maintenance and Engineering Management.
- Strong communication skills, leadership skills and team building skills within engineering and maintenance.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of this organization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications– Word, Excel; Microsoft Outlook; knowledge of Database software, Oracle ERP, Design software; Manufacturing software; and Project Management software.
- Automotive industry experience and Lean/TPS experience preferred.
For more information on this position and to apply, click here.